Most people probably assume that, when a musician releases a hot new track, they must love their work. After all, why else would they put it out there for everyone in the world to hear? Yet, it turns out that many of the world’s most respected musicians actually can’t stand their most famous songs!
From Oasis to Kanye West, many artists can name at least one popular song in their discographies that practically makes their ears bleed. Need further proof? Just take a look at these musicians who totally hate their big hits. It’ll change the way you hear their songs forever…
1. Madonna (“Like a Virgin”): You know exactly what it’s like when you’ve heard a song way too many times; it’s pretty hard to enjoy. Well, that’s how it feels for Madonna with “Like a Virgin,” one of her biggest—and most controversial—hits.
Even though it’s likely her most recognizable single of all time, the megastar just can’t seem to enjoy it the way her fans do. “I’m not sure I can sing … ‘Like A Virgin’ ever again,” she once said. “I just can’t—unless somebody paid me like $30 million or something.”
2. Lorde (“Royals”): Since this song is still relatively new, you might think that Lorde wouldn’t mind performing it. Yet the chart-topping track that launched her to worldwide recognition in 2013 is like nails on a chalkboard for the Kiwi songwriter.
Recently, she made it clear what she thinks the song sounds like: “It sounds like a ringtone from a 2006 Nokia! None of the melodies are cool or good! It’s disastrous,” the singer openly admitted.
3. Kanye West (“Gold Digger”): In the most ironic turn of events, Kanye West once said that he didn’t even like this song from the start. But isn’t he, like, his own biggest fan? Why wouldn’t he like a song that he created?
Never one to shy away from telling it like it is, West eventually admitted why he recorded the Jamie Foxx-featuring track: money. “I get paid for doing ‘Gold Digger,’ which I never really liked that song, but I knew I would get paid for doing ‘Gold Digger,’” he told reporters.
4. Oasis (“Wonderwall”): Though it’s easily one of the greatest and most recognized rock-alternative songs from the past half century, Oasis has admitted that they hate pretty much everything about this track, much to the chagrin of their fans.
During a radio interview, lead guitarist Noel Gallagher admitted, “I don’t particularly like that song—I think ‘Cigarettes and Alcohol’ is a far superior song.” There’s nothing more frustrating than someone liking something that you don’t, right?
5. Mandy Moore (“Candy”): Those who’ve known Mandy Moore for her acting chops on This Is Us might have forgotten about this tune from the actress’s pop-singer days. And there’s something about her first hit that she wishes she could forget too…
Moore actually despises the music video for “Candy”—the one that largely kicked off her career in 1999. “My very first music video, I had to dance in it and it is abysmal,” she mentioned. “I think the powers that be realized very early on that, ‘You know what, you should just have background dancers.”
6. Lady Gaga featuring Beyoncé (“Telephone”): You’d think that teaming up two of the most popular and recognizable pop stars on the planet would be a surefire way to record a song that everyone loves, right?
And, of course, you’d be on to something… except Lady Gaga can’t stand it or the music video either. “Beyoncé and I are great together. But there are so many ideas in that video and all I see in that video is my brain throbbing with ideas and I wish I had edited myself a little bit more,” she recalled.
Who would ever guess that some of the most famous songs in music history are total duds for the people who recorded them? Listening to these songs will never be the same again!
Share these artists and the songs they hate with your friends below!