Thousands of commercial flights transport passengers all over the world every day. And while soaring through the sky at hundreds of miles an hour seems like a dangerous way to get from one place to another, the men and women who work onboard these flights are highly trained to handle any type of emergency.
So it’s safe to say that airline employees know everything that occurs behind the scenes… things the public would have no idea about. Luckily, these pilots and flight attendants decided to spill the beans on 20 fascinating secrets about flying!
1. Anyone who’s flown in an airplane knows about the “stow portable electronic devices” rule, but do they know why? Cell phones can interfere with air traffic control frequencies, which can be an issue during the takeoff and landing. Also, in the event of an emergency, electronic equipment can become projectiles!
2. Automatic upgrades to a higher class don’t happen very frequently. However, according to one flight attendant, they’re pretty much done at the crew’s discretion and can happen for a number of reasons. Passengers might be upgraded if they’re kind, obviously pregnant, good-looking, or even a friend of a crew member.
3. The most annoying beverage for flight attendants to pour is Diet Coke. Because of the extreme amount of carbonation and the plane’s altitude, the liquid takes about three times as long to settle in the cup. This significantly cuts into the attendants’ service time.
4. The first order of business for a flight attendant is his or her professional duties, of course. Still, there’s no rule that prevents them from fraternizing with the passengers—and possibly finding a romantic connection with one of them!
5. Couples who are feeling particularly frisky might try to escape to the bathroom to join the “Mile High Club,” but here’s something a lot of people don’t know: the bathrooms can be unlocked from the outside! It’s an emergency precaution.
6. Just how healthy is the food that airlines serve thousands of miles up in the air? In general, it’s not healthy at all. Don’t expect a nutritious meal when you’re flying; instead, load up on healthy snacks before takeoff.
7. United States Air Marshals are stationed aboard nearly every flight, but it’d be extremely difficult to recognize them. They’re in position to prevent any type of onboard criminal activity or terrorism. (Just don’t expect them to tell you about it.)
8. As you board a plane, the flight attendants will typically line up to smile and greet you. Even though it looks like they’re being nice, they’re actually giving each passenger a visual inspection to see who might potentially be a problem during the flight.
9. There’s a myth that passengers should tuck their heads between their legs during a crash landing for a quicker and painless death. However, this position is actually meant to protect vital organs and increase the chances for survival. Big difference!
10. If every single person on a flight brings with them an extremely heavy suitcase, could will bring the plane down mid-flight? Not at all! The airline industry actually loads the cargo hold with sandbags for weight distribution to ensure a smooth ride.
The next time you take flight, keep in mind these facts. They might just make your journey a little more interesting!
Share these fascinating airplane secrets with your friends below!