Our ideas of hidden treasure usually all look the same: we imagine briefcases stuffed to the brim with hundred-dollar bills, old chests so full of gold their lids can’t close, or jewel-encrusted goblets fit for a king. But not all treasures are the sort that make us insanely rich…
In fact, some of them are actually hiding in plain sight right under our noses! And while we might not tuck these treasures into a safety deposit box anytime soon, we can all see the value in them. And the best part? All of them were found in the last place we’d expect!
1. A homeowner discovered this precious old art after removing some wallpaper. Apparently, in 1997, a dad promised to eat his overalls if the Spice Girls were still popular by the time the room was redecorated. Do you think this dad should be chowing down on his denim?
2. Radiologist Ben Heggelman performed a CT scan on an ancient statue of a monk and uncovered a shocking surprise: this was no statue, but a mummified body! Its organs had been removed and replaced with scraps of paper with Chinese characters on them.
3. You’ve likely heard of a Swiss Army knife, but how about a Swiss Army computer disk tray? Perhaps floppy disks wouldn’t have become obsolete had these trays doubled as measuring tools like this one.
4. One traveler found a simple—yet oddly interesting—hidden treasure in their hotel room: an outlet inside the room’s safe. With it, travelers could feel more comfortable charging their laptops in their rooms while they were away.
5. Speaking of safes, this guy found one after he accidentally put a hole in the drywall. How long had it been hidden inside the wall of his apartment without his ever knowing? Sadly, there wasn’t anything inside.
6. When a chess player’s knight piece broke in two, she found hidden treasure in the form of a die tucked inside it. Apparently, the Chinese manufacturers simply recycled some materials in making this chess set.
7. Another chess player found his queen was “pregnant” with a pawn when the royal piece snapped in two! Hidden within this chess-ception was some kind of philosophical statement on pawns and ruling classes…
8. Perhaps it was a powerful strike that cracked off a piece of this cue ball, revealing a second ball hidden inside it. Was there a third ball inside that one? Was this a Russian nesting doll sort of thing?
9. A dog went to town on this stuffed pineapple toy—which wore an expression indicating it just loved being torn apart—and discovered another toy inside. This time it was a stuffed emoji-looking thing that seemed embarrassed to have been found without its disguise.
10. Hotel managers must’ve really understood their clientele when they installed bottle openers in all the showers. At the Sonesta Hotel in Duluth, Georgia, enjoying a shower beer wasn’t just allowed; it was encouraged!
While these hidden treasures aren’t about to make anyone rich, no doubt they were neat little discoveries. What are some hidden treasures you’ve found?
Share these hidden treasures with your friends below!