While science has allowed us to explore most of the planet, remarkably, our oceans remain vastly unexplored. Thankfully, new discoveries through modern technology continue to help advance our knowledge of the blue planet every day.
But sometimes, even the world’s top scientific experts can get completely stumped by deep-sea oddities. These strange discoveries prove that not all aquatic legends are mere sailors’ tales, and may even hold the key to unlocking the secrets that lie beneath us.
1. Massive peeper: This huge eye was found floating in the ocean near Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Scientists believe it was from a large swordfish, but that doesn’t quite measure up…
2. Alien spacecraft: An object straight out of Star Wars was discovered by Swedish explorer Peter Lindberg’s crew at the bottom of the Baltic Sea. Dating techniques suggest it’s 140,000 years old! Many believe it to be remnants of a UFO crash.
3. Glowing water: For centuries sailors have told stories of stumbling upon milky, florescent seas. Scientists believe that it’s caused by a special type of bacteria that continuously illuminates the water. Why? That’s still a bit of a mystery.
4. Sunken city: Strange structures were discovered off the coast of Japan in 1986 and nicknamed “Japan’s Atlantis.”Are they natural rock formations or a hidden city? You can take a look for yourself as it’s a popular diving spot.
5. Strange sounds: A distinct, unidentifiable sound was recorded by scientists in 1991. Since its first recording, ‘the sound’ has been detected in areas all across the Pacific Ocean. Scientists believe it is the sound of lava coming into contact with ocean water, but they just aren’t sure.
6. An ancient city: In 2002, marine scientists discovered archaeological structures from an ancient Indian city that dates to around 9,000 years old. That makes it one of the oldest civilizations of all time… if it’s real!
7. UFO base: An odd, staircase-looking structure in Antarctica was recently spotted on Google Earth. Some scientists believe it is just an impact crater, but others theorize the possibility of UFOs and old Nazi bases.
8. Missing land: The island of Bermeja was located in the Gulf of Mexico for years… that is until no one could find it anymore. Mexican officials conducted an investigation, but found nothing. Conspiracy theorists believe the CIA had something to do with its disappearance.
9. Ooze: In 2016, the Ocean Exploration Trust discovered a strange purple blob on the ocean off the coast of California. They joked about it being many things like a giant spider sack or small mother octopus, ultimately nicknaming it Blobus purpilis. Its true identity is still unknown.
10. Missing subs: Four submarines vanished without a trace in the Atlantic years ago. The disappearances of the USS Scorpion, INS Dakar, French Submarine Minerve, and Soviet K-129 were never solved. Theorists speculate scenarios ranging from secret Soviet attacks to faulty designs.